Keeping Your Lawn Green This Summer
Summertime is almost here!
With temperatures continuing to rise, we’re dreaming of the consistent, hot, sunny days that Minnesota gifts us with after a long winter season. With this seasonal change happening, it’s important to remember to properly address your lawn.
As we all know, summer offers increased temperatures and intense sunlight, and it can affect your lawn in positive and negative ways – warm growing weather and intense, damaging heat. In order to best prepare you for the upcoming summer months, we’ve put together a few tips to help you efficiently water you turf. Here they are:
Top Watering Tips
1. Avoid frequent watering: Frequent watering promotes a shallower root system.
2. Water early in the day: Watering earlier in the day allows more water to reach the roots of the grass and reduces the amount of water that is evaporated.
3. Water evenly across your lawn: Watering evenly prevents flooding in some areas and missing other areas.
4. Avoid over watering: You can use a rain gauge to measure the amount of water. Try to get about 1 inch per week.
5. Monitor rainfall: If you know there will be rain later that day, avoid watering.
5 Benefits of a Healthy Lawn
1. Curb Appeal – Who doesn’t love to look at a lush lawn? By keeping your lawn green and clean throughout the warmer months, you’ll be the envy of all your neighbors in Minnesota. Your healthy lawn will also make a great first impression on visitors to your home and even on people who are just driving past.
2. Flooding Prevention – Healthy green grass is sturdily rooted in the ground. This will make your lawn much less vulnerable to flooding that often occurs when the snow melts and the heavy rains come to Minnesota in spring. Healthy grass will stay rooted in place and soak up excess water rather than being washed away.
3. Erosion Prevention – Do you have hills in your yard in Minnesota? If so, they’re vulnerable to erosion by both wind and water. But healthy green grass can put a stop to erosion. Planting and maintaining grass on any slopes on your property will stabilize them, greatly reducing the risk of erosion by the elements.
4. Cleaner Air – Grass absorbs carbon dioxide and produces oxygen. Because of this, a lush and healthy lawn will create cleaner air around your home, allowing you to breathe easily when you’re spending time outside. Grass also catches dust, preventing it from blowing into your eyes or dirtying the outside of your house in Minnesota.
5. Energy Savings – Believe it or not, having a lush green lawn surrounding your home can reduce your energy bills in the summer. Grass evaporates moisture in order to keep itself cool on hot, sunny days, and this lowers the air temperature around your home in Minnesota. As a result, your air conditioning units won’t have to work so hard to keep the inside of your house cool.
Contact Alex’s Lawn & Turf
This simple tips will help you maintain a beautiful lawn. Remember to try your best to conserve water! If you are watering and water is getting on your driveway or street, try to fix this problem because that is just wasted water. We look forward to seeing you out in your yard this summer!
If you have any questions regarding watering your lawn or if you’d like professional lawn care services completed, contact our team of expert lawn care professionals. We would be happy to help you keep your grass green and healthy.